Thursday, January 20, 2011

2 officers, suspect killed in Miami shootout

On Thursday, Miami-Dade officers attempted to serve a murder warrant to a violent fugitive.  It resulted in a shoot out that killed the suspect and two police officers, Roger Castillo and Amanda Haworth.  The officers went to the home of Johnny Simms to serve the warrant.  A relative of Simms answered the door and told officers they would be right back.  Instead of returning someone started shooting at the police.  Officers say that 23 year old Simms was armed with a pistol and was shot in defense.

When you think about it, it's pretty scary to think how violent our country has become.  And it's not just our country it's people in general.  The respect that humans have for life is frighteningly scarce sometimes.  So much of our culture is based on violence, whether it be video games, movies, or television shows.  I mean don't get me wrong, I love a good action movie just as much as the next person, but there is a point where you cross a line.  If you think back even as much as 50 years, or even to our parents age.  You rarely heard of things such as this.  People were so much more trustworthy.  I remember my mom and dad as well as grandparents telling me stories about how they wouldn't ever lock their doors, some didn't even have locks.  People could be trusted back then.  I long for a time like that.  When you could leave your car outside and not have to worry about it being broken into or stolen by someone.  However, I doubt I will ever know a time like that.  I doubt things will ever be that way again.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really amazed by the violence in the country as well. It really has gotten out of hand and I can't even watch a movie now a days without watching someone get shot in the back. It's kind of gruesome to think about, but like you said I also agree that it won't be changing anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete