Friday, January 7, 2011

Woman announced suicide on Facebook, no one helped

At 10:53 pm on Christmas day, Simone Back, posted her suicide note on Facebook.  The shocking part is that none of her close friends in England cared to respond or do anything about it.  Simone posted, "Took all my pills be dead soon bye bye everyone."  Another one of her friends later replied to the message by saying that she does this often and that it was a lie.  That she was joking and it wasn't for real.  However, Simone wasn't joking and she died that night.  Facebook is working with the National Council of Suicide Prevention (NCSP) to prevent things like this from happening again.  There is a meeting scheduled for the end of January with other Internet companies to join in the process. 

I think what happened is horrible.  However I can't say that I am necessarily surprised with the situation.  People are much more self centered today and if she had done it in the past I can see them not believing her.  Although I do think that her closer friends would and should have checked up on her just to make sure everything was ok.  I also consider the fact that it was Christmas so not as many people are on Facebook, I would think anyway, because they are spending time with their families.  I am glad that Facebook and the NCSP are working together to improve their ways of detecting harmful situations as these.  I hope that other inter net corporations will also join the plan to help these things from happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment